Lately we have been facing a question every now and then about the possibility for the candidate to retake the answer in a video interview. It appears that some recruiters believe, that having the possibility for retakes is a negative thing – that the candidate should be put under pressure and should be allowed only one opportunity to record the answer. This is something we have carefully considered, and decided not to include to our video interviewing tool.
One shot, one opportunity - fair in recruitment?
Why retakes matter
Why do we want to give candidates unlimited opportunities to record their answers?
- We want to provide the best possible experience for both the candidate, and the recruiter. Creating a positive candidate experience works as a great marketing tool for the employer – it is an excellent way to do employer branding. Putting the candidate under pressure to a ”one shot, one opportunity” – type of interview does not support this.
- When the interview is conducted in a recorded format, you cannot test the candidates' ability to react or interact in a realistic manner anyway. Therefore, allowing retakes is the only sensible way to go.
- We have an excellent answer rate (87% of all sent invitations have resulted in a video reply) . Candidates are not afraid to answer video interviews, when they know they have the opportunity to record their answers again, if needed. In other words, retakes help in creating a positive candidate experience and in increasing the reply rate.
- Companies which have required the option to allow only one take per video answer , have never tried video interviewing without an exception. When it comes to companies which are already familiar with video interviews, we have never heard this suggestion. Not even once. Zip, nada, zero times. It would obviously require further research to claim that it simply isn’t necessary at all – obviously it could be handy for some very, very specific recruitments. However, not hearing this suggestion even once from people who use our tool - that's enough proof for us to believe that allowing retakes has much more positive aspects than negative ones.
- Besides the positive candidate experience it also allows us to provide an easier-to-use tool both for the candidate and the recruiter.
What do you think? Are there some recruitments where you believe that it would be absolutely necessary to allow only one take per video question? Leave a comment, or just sign in and try it out yourself. It’s free.
Download a survey: What did over 37 000 candidates think about video interview?